Sunday, August 10, 2008

Nothing. Everything.

A long while back, I heard one of those zen-ish sorts of statements that stuck with me. It ran something like this:

Want everything, have nothing. Want nothing, have everything.

This cryptic statement came with an explanation. The idea is that you never have everything that you want. If you keep wanting, then eventually what you have seems like nothing.

Therefore, if you want nothing, you have the same thing you would get if you wanted everything.

Personally, I think that is not really true. For a while I basically had what I wanted, and things were more or less fine. Then it went away and things sucked. I could very easily go back to having what I wanted and be more or less content.

This all sounds confusing and disorganized because it is confusing and disorganized. I apologize for that, but I really wanted to create another blog entry. I haven't posted one in two weeks and I have grown rather fond of my little corner of the web.

Ah well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have so much, while there are people who struggle to meet their daily needs of food and water; who risk rape or death gathering firewood; who die of diseases that have been wiped out in our world.

We are never happy, but we have every reason to be. . .

Your post made me think about my priorities. Thank you.

SandyCarlson said...

I have thought about this one, too. I have always taken it that I should accept what life is as it is right in front of me. I have found this paradoxical because once I do this I seem to have so much more in abundance.

Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

well definitely sucks to have more or less everything than lose it ><

my take on the zen-like quote though is that it's about the searching

if you keep searching you will forever keep seeking

but if you are not searching then you will find it in what you have

bah. zen. :P

storyteller said...

Let’s hear it for ‘confusing’ and disorganized … my ‘normal’ state of being. I’m with Sandy on this one … for life always seems best when I’m ‘in the moment’ with maximal dreams and minimal expectations … embracing ‘what is’ here and now.
Hugs and blessings,